The process of new incorporations adaptation is known as Employee Onboarding. This process is a key factor in the success and retention of talent in organizations. In this article, we explore the importance of employee onboarding. We will also look at the problems that arise when implemented incorrectly. And finally, we provide some keys for HR managers to achieve an exceptional onboarding process.
1. Importance of employee onboarding
Onboarding is the first contact new employees have with your company. Some say that a bad first impression is fatal. We agree! Much of the entrepreneurial energy has to be in that first contact. This will provide the basis for that new employee to succeed or fail. But there is more. An effective onboarding process can: provide a smooth transition, clarify expectations and promote rapid integration into the team. Some examples of the importance of good onboarding are:
- Increased talent retention: Strong remployee onboarding gives new employees a sense of belonging and connection. This translates into a significant increase in the company’s long-term retention.
- Early productivity: By providing structured guidance, employees can start contributing quickly. As a result, they will maximize their productivity from day one.
- Organizational culture and values: The right onboarding allows the company’s culture and values to be conveyed. This allows align new employees with the company’s vision and mission.
2. Problems arising from poor onboarding
Lack of effective onboarding can have negative consequences for employees and the company. Some practical problems that may arise are:
- Disconnection and low morale: Employees may feel lost without clear guidance on their responsibilities and tasks. This can lead to a decrease in the morale and commitment of newcomers.
- Delayed adaptation: Without a proper introduction, new employees take longer to become familiar with the company. The same applies to internal work processes and colleagues. This results in delays and difficulties in adapting to the dynamics of the team;
- Staff turnover: The lack of solid onboarding increases the risk of losing employees in their first months. The reasons can range from dissatisfaction to lack of support; If a good introduction is not everything, we believe it is ALMOST EVERYTHING.
3. Keys for an exceptional onboarding
To achieve exceptional onboarding, HR managers can follow these 5 keys:
- Detailed planning: Develop an onboarding plan that includes specific activities, mentoring and an introduction to the company’s resources and tools.
- Effective communication: Maintain open and constant communication with new employees, especially in the first 3 months, providing feedback and clarifying any doubts or concerns.
- Team participation: Involve team members in the onboarding process, encouraging interactions and establishing positive relationshipsfrom the beginning.
- Evaluation and follow-up: Conduct periodic evaluations to measure employee progress and offer personalised development opportunities. Ideally, apply tests or surveys to check that crucial processes or knowledge have been assimilated.
- Offer resources and training materials: For new employees to be able to access easily and independently. In this way, the employees themselves can manage part of their own incorporation, which is also a demonstration of their interest.
4. How to organize the ideal employee onboarding
- Centralized communication: It is essential to have a communication channel for sharing news, training, gamified training, and activities, strengthening the connection between employees and the company. All-in-one!
- Organization of events and activities: You should have a space where you can plan events, create calendars and registrations, thus encouraging participation, insertion and team spirit of new recruits and experienced employees.
- Publication of internal training: Create a site where internal training materials can be shared in a simple and accessible way for all employees, facilitating their learning and development, and from this site it should be possible to organize lessons and exams to check if the contents have been correctly assimilated by new members.
- Mailbox management: To have a space where surveys of different types can be conducted, where feedback can be received from new employees regarding their onboarding process in order to improve it, thus promoting a culture of active participation and continuous improvement.
Each of these points can be found in whole and easy to use Vip Connect, one of the flagship products of the Vip District platform; Thanks to this tool, the employee experience will be optimized tremendously, facilitating luxury onboarding.
Ultimately, employee onboarding plays a crucial role in both building an exceptional employee experience and retaining talent. By implementing effective onboarding and using tools like Vip Connect, HR managers can ensure a smooth transition for the successful integration and early productivity of new employees.
Don’t underestimate the power of first-class Onboarding; invest in your team’s success from day one!